You and your health care team

There are a range of health care professionals who may be involved in helping you manage your diabetes.

A team approach will help you learn everything you need to know about diabetes, treatment and management.

Your team can be made up of health professionals as well as your carer, family and friends. But you are the most important member. You make the day-to-day decisions about your diabetes, and the more you know about diabetes, the easier this will be.


Diabetes health care team

Diabetes affects different parts of the body, so you will see different health care professionals.

You may not need all the health professionals shown here.

GP (doctor): Your GP has a central role in assessing your diabetes and helping you manage it. They are your first point of contact for any concerns you have about your diabetes, prescribes medicines, monitors your health and may refer you to specialised and allied diabetes health services.

Credentialled diabetes educator: A qualified nurse or other health professional who specialises in diabetes. They can help you to understand, manage and monitor your diabetes.

Endocrinologist: Medical specialist in diabetes. (if you have type 2 diabetes you may not need an endocrinologist straight away).

Dietitian: Provides advice and support with healthy eating habits and carbohydrate counting.

Practice nurse: Your GP may also have a practice nurse. A practice nurse can provide information and coordinate your care plan with other members of your health care team.

Nurse practitioner: A highly skilled and experienced registered nurse, who provides an advanced level of healthcare in a clinical role. A nurse practitioner can treat medical conditions without the direct supervision of a doctor.

Pharmacist: Dispenses medicines and provides advice on medications and products.

Podiatrist: Checks the health of your feet routinely to prevent any diabetes related foot complications.

Exercise physiologist/physiotherapist: Provides advice about exercise including the best types of activity for your health and ability.

Counsellor/Psychologist/Psychiatrist or Social worker: Provide emotional and mental health support.

Optometrist: Checks your eye health (may refer you to an ophthalmologist).

Ophthalmologist: Medical specialist in eye care and management.

Dentist: Checks the health of your teeth and gums routinely.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Worker: Provides local and culturally appropriate information and support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

Diabetes Tasmania: We have qualified dieticians and diabetes educators available for individual consults or group education programs. Your doctor can arrange a referral to Diabetes Tasmania. You can also refer yourself to our services by completing our self-referral form.

Family, friends & carers: They can provide day-to-day support and assistance in managing your emotional health, physical health, and motivation for diabetes self-management.


Find a health professional

A great way to find a health professional is to ask a family member, friend, colleague, or another health professional (like your GP or a specialist) for a recommendation.

You can also search for a GP or other health professionals in your area by visiting the related professional body website. For example, you can visit the Australian Podiatry Association website to find a podiatrist near you.

Another option is to visit the Health Direct website to find a health professional in your area.

Search Diabetes Tasmania