The COACH Program®
Do you need support and advice to manage or help prevent type 2 diabetes?
Join Diabetes Tasmania’s free telephone coaching program now to become actively involved in looking after your own health.
The COACH program® is an evidence-based, award-winning coaching prevention program for people with chronic disease or at high risk of chronic disease.
Offered by Diabetes Tasmania, The COACH Program® is a free service available to people over the age of 18, who have:
The COACH Program® is also available for patients with, or at risk of coronary heart disease who are referred through the Royal Hobart Hospital Cardiac Rehabilitation Program.
If you have type 2 diabetes, pre-diabetes or are at high risk of diabetes you will find The COACH Program®brochure with more information by following this link.
What is The COACH Program®?
The COACH program® is a structured telephone health coaching program. Working with a trained health coach, you will learn to understand, manage and improve your risk factors for diabetes and heart disease including:
How does it work?
Your coach will call you once a month for about six months.
During the call you will talk about:
- how your health is at the moment
- what you can do to help manage or prevent type 2 diabetes or coronary heart disease
- setting goals to help you make positive lifestyle changes
After each session your coach will:
- send you a summary of what you’ve spoken about and the goals you’ve set
- check in with you four weeks later to see how you’re working towards your goals
Why should I join?
There are many benefits to joining The COACH Program®:
- it will help you to improve your general health
- it will reduce the need for admission to hospital
- all sessions are held over the phone so there’s no need to travel
- the sessions run at a time that suits you
- every session is personalized to your needs
The COACH Program® health coach will help you to work together with your usual doctor and other health professionals to meet your health goals no matter where you live.
How do I join? It’s easy!
- simply call us on 6333 0233
- sign the consent form that will be posted to you and return it to us in the reply paid envelope
- we will call you to book your first telephone coaching appointment.
“Thank you for all the information and help I received. It has definitely helped me work towards my goals.”
The COACH Program® participant
Your questions answered:
Q. My doctor is already taking good care of me. Why do I need The COACH Program®?
A. Our coaches work with your doctor’s advice and support you to make long-term lifestyle changes to stay healthy.
Q. I already see another health professional about my diabetes care. Is this the same thing?
A. No. The COACH Program® complements other health education services you receive as it runs over 6 months and is a longer term approach to understanding and improving your lifestyle and diabetes management.
The COACH Program® is delivered to you by Diabetes Tasmania with support from the Department of Health and The Tasmanian Community Fund.